To celebrate ‘Wake up to Organic’ on Wednesday, 13 June, the Rhug Estate’s Bistro will be offering visitors free samples of organic porridge while the Farm Shop will be offering samples of Rhug organic pork sausages on the butcher’s counter.
‘Wake up to Organic’ is an annual event, organised by the Organic Trade Board to encourage more people to try organic. The Rhug Estate supported the event last year, but this month will be the first time it becomes a flagship venue for the campaign.
Unable to carry out something he did not believe in, Lord Newborough converted the land at the Rhug Estate to organic in 1998 when he inherited the conventional beef and sheep farm from his father. The satisfaction Lord Newborough gets from organic farming is unmeasurable and his passion for organic farming is never ending. Under an organic system the farm benefits from rich organic pastures that the animals are free to graze in a stress-free environment. The animals’ live life as nature intended with minimal stress and the highest quality of life.
Lord Newborough said, “Farming organically has to come from the heart, you have to believe in what you are doing and embrace all the good aspects of farming in this way. I am lucky to have a team around me that share my beliefs and recognise the importance of sustainable farming and maintaining the high standards of animal welfare that are practised in organic farming.”
Rhug is one of the few remaining true ‘field to plate’ operations where animals are bred on the farm, fed on feed grown on the farm and finished on the farm, then butchered, cut and dispatched to customers at home and abroad.
Aileen Nicol, Campaign Director at the Organic Trade Board said, “We are delighted that the Rhug Estate has agreed to be one of our flagship ‘Wake up to Organic’ venues for this year’s campaign. The campaign is the perfect opportunity to encourage people to make a simple switch to organic, with breakfast a great place to start the journey. We want to show how easy it is to go organic. It’s all part of our mission to make organic every day and for everyone, sharing the many benefits of making that choice for you and your family, for animals and the planet.”
Wake up to Organic’s five reasons to try organic:
1. Better for nature: organic farming works with the environment as it uses fewer pesticides. It’s a way of farming that protects and encourages wildlife while looking after the health of the soil.
2. Better for the planet: organic farms use fewer pesticides and support up to 50% more wildlife.
3. Better for animal welfare: organic means free-range. Organic standards insist that animals are given plenty of space and fresh air to thrive and grow more naturally.
4. Know what’s in your food: when it comes to organic, you know exactly what’s in your food. GM crops and ingredients are banned in organic farming.
5. It’s tasty: organic farmers rely on developing a healthy, fertile soil to grow a mixture of crops that are bursting with flavour – so foods taste great.
The Rhug Estate Farm Shop and Bistro will be offering visitors free samples from 9am until 11am on Wednesday, 13 June 2018. The Mintons Organic Porridge Oats used in the porridge samples and the Rhug Organic Pork Sausages are available to buy in the Farm Shop. The sausages are also available to order from the Rhug website: www.rhug.co.uk along with other breakfast favourites, including Rhug Organic Bacon. Organic eggs, ordered from the Rhug Wholesale team, are also served daily for breakfast to customers in top hotels and restaurants in London, Croatia and Hong Kong.