Mixing sweet and savoury doesn't always end well, though these incredibly simple to make Smoked Bacon and Maple Syrup Scones from our friends at Frenchie Covent Garden are sure to be a success with your friends and family this Christmas.
- 257g cold butter
- 600g plain flour
- 36g sugar
- 13g baking powder
- 2g baking soda
- 1tsp salt
- 385g smoked bacon, diced and cooked crispy then fridge-cold
- 190ml maple syrup, plus extra for drizzling
- 255ml buttermilk
- 1 egg, for wash
- Cut the butter into cubes and keep cold.
- Put all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl and rub in the cold butter until you have lumps no bigger than peas.
- Add the chopped, cold bacon into the mix and coat with flour to break up clumps.
- Stir in the liquids until a soft dough forms.
- Scoop out each scone with an ice cream spoon (no bigger than 60g) and place on a tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with egg wash.
- Bake at 170C degrees (gas mark 3 ½) for 15 minutes
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with maple syrup and bake for a further 4 minutes.
CHRISTMAS RECIPES FROM RHUG ESTATE
We've been working hard to create a free recipe booklet for you to download. Create the perfect festive dinner for the whole family with our range of recipes for Christmas including recipes from staff, friends and chefs who work with Rhug estate. You can download the e-booklet below free of charge.
Made this recipe? Share you pictures on social media using the hashtag #rhugmas!