Lord Newborough, the owner of The Rhug Estate, in Corwen, Denbighshire, strives towards a more sustainable future. His vision has seen the conversion of the farm to organic, the addition of a large portfolio of renewable energy projects, and continued support for local Welsh produce.
Rhug Estate covers 12,500 acres extending from Gwyddelwern in the north, Carrog to the east, Cynwyd to the south and Maerdy to the west. The 6,700 acre in-hand organic farm in Denbighshire is the geographical core of the estate along with Rûg Mansion being the main residence. The Glynllifon Estate, near Caernarfon, includes the main in-hand farming enterprise of Tŷ Mawr.
The remainder of the estate has about 170 tenancies including: let farms, in-hand and let forestry, let cottages, commercial premises and storage. Traditional sporting including shooting and fishing, modern sports such as rally car driving, gorge walking, mountain biking, canoeing and other public events.
Like to learn more about the Rhug Estate journey? Watch our full video here.
The history of Rhug, can be split into chapters – the first, being the largest, and spans from earliest times to coming into the hands of the Salusbury family of Bachymbyd. Rhug was then left to the Vaughan family of Nannau and finally it came into the Wynn family in the 19th century, and so to the present Lord Newborough.
The first documented record of Rhug, dates back to 1080, when Gruffydd ap Cynan, Prince of Gwynedd and Lord of Rhug, was imprisoned in Chester over a rivalry with Meirion Goch of Lleyn. Gruffydd’s daughter married Madog ap Maredudd, forming an alliance between Powys and Gwynedd. The borders of these counties, moved around with regular monotony until the creation of Merioneth in 1284 by the Statute of Rhuddlan.
You can read more about the history of the estate by visiting the History page.