The history of Rhug, can be split into chapters – the first, being the largest, and spans from earliest times to coming into the hands of the Salusbury family of Bachymbyd. Rhug was then left to the Vaughan family of Nannau and finally it came into the Wynn family in the 19th century, and so to the present Lord Newborough.
The first documented record of Rhug, dates back to 1080, when Gruffydd ap Cynan, Prince of Gwynedd and Lord of Rhug, was imprisoned in Chester over a rivalry with Meirion Goch of Lleyn.
Gruffydd’s daughter married Madog ap Maredudd, forming an alliance between Powys and Gwynedd. The borders of these counties, moved around with regular monotony until the creation of Merioneth in 1284 by the Statute of Rhuddlan.
The remainder of our estate has about 170 tenancies including: let farms, in-hand and let forestry, let cottages, commercial premises and storage. Traditional sporting including shooting and fishing, modern sports such as rally car driving, gorge walking, mountain biking, canoeing and other public events.