A classic British favourite, this chicken casserole is just what you need to keep the chill at bay. With succulent chicken, hearty vegetables, and a rich gravy, this dish is the epitome of comfort food. Serve it up on a cold autumn evening for a satisfying meal to warm you from the inside out.
This easy-to-follow, slow cooker recipe removes all the fuss and leaves you with a delicious, home-cooked casserole packed full of flavour. It delivers tender, fall-off-the-bone chicken and nutrient-packed vegetables, all soaked in a sumptuous gravy that fills the entire house with an irresistible aroma.
With a little bit of preparation in the morning, you can look forward to a hearty meal waiting for you at dinner time.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 500ml chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and brown them all over. Once browned, remove from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook until the vegetables are softened.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir. Cook for another minute.
- Gradually add the chicken stock to the pan, constantly stirring
to prevent lumps from forming.
- Stir in the tomato paste and thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to your slow cooker, add the browned chicken thighs and stir to combine.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
This hearty chicken casserole is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser with its tender chicken and robust flavours.
It’s a perfect way to warm up on chilly winter nights. Serve with some crusty bread or creamy mashed potatoes for the ultimate comfort meal.